Do I need a Local Web Design Company?
How do you know if a local web design company is the path you need to take? You know you need a website – but is local really an important factor? Finding the right web design company is one of the most important decisions you will make for your business. In 90% of businesses, your website is your potential clients first real insight to who you are, what you do and whether or not you’re a reputable and trustworthy company. So you need to get it right!
DIY Versus Professional
First, let’s touch base on whether or not you actually need a web designer – or can you get away with a really kick-ass DIY website – such as WIX or Square Space? Well, you just have to ask yourself – do you want people to be able to find your website? If the answer is yes – then you don’t want to go down the DIY applications that seem so readily available these days. These applications are not geared for great Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), they are limited in their ability to extend functionality on your site and since you are generally setting them up yourself, you’re bypassing professional advice that you could be getting from an experienced local web design company. You’ll also be eating into your precious time – time that you could have spent working more productively on your business and leaving other jobs to those who specialise in that area.
So just to re-cap – if your website matters to you as much as your business itself (which it should) – then please don’t go for a DIY option. Leave it to the professionals and focus on what you’re good at doing so you can keep the business rolling forwards!
Is a Local Web Design Company Best
This could be the million dollar question. Like with everything – there’s pro’s and con’s and ultimately you have to make the decision that suits you best. How about we compare a few scenarios that differ between choosing a local web design company over an offshore one.D
- You can sit down face to face with your web designer. For some people this is a deal-breaker because it means you know exactly who will be building your site. You will have a direct line of contact with them – and you can probably get a good feel for their work ethic from meeting them and having some real conversations. In addition to this – your communications are likely to be faster and more predictable.
- A local web designer may be an important factor for your website – depending on your business. For example if you’re selling local produce to local clients, a local web designer is going to have a much better idea of target market approaches to take than an international web design company.
- Broadening your networks is important for every business. By choosing local companies to assist you in your work, you’ll be broadening and strengthening your networks – and keeping business in Australia! Who doesn’t love that!
- Pricing may be the biggest factor in why people take their business offshore. There are many countries out there with highly skilled developers that can do your website at a fraction of the cost. If this is your main concern – then perhaps it’s an option to consider – as long as you know what you’re getting yourself in to.
- How fluent is their English? English is not a requirement to be able to build a website. But general communication, getting your message across and getting the job done will be extremely difficult if you can’t communicate clearly with the other party. We’ve seen first-hand how communications can be misinterpreted resulting in embarrassing errors. If you don’t want your business to be the centre of an online joke – make your web design decisions wisely!
- Protection and Guarantees – for some people may be something to think about. Are you protected from potential problems if your web designer is off-shore? Will you get your money back if there’s ever a dispute? How can you be sure that they will deliver what they say they will? These things might not ever happen to you – but if you need that peace of mind – then stay with a local option.
If you’re still reading this far down the page, then you’ll probably notice that our bias is pointed towards using a local web design company. We do think it’s best and will always promote this. This isn’t to say that you can’t have a great experience with offshore options. We like people to be open-minded about these decisions – especially since, as we said earlier, choosing a web designer is a really important and crucial decision for your business.
And in saying all this, Eye Dropper Designs is really excited to be able to officially say that we are now a global company. We have expanded our business, based locally in Adelaide – South Australia, and servicing clients world-wide. It’s an exciting time for us and we look forward to providing a high quality service to all of our clients.
How to Get Started on a Website with WordPress?
A great place to start if you want to be a complete DIY-er – would be to browse the WordPress website to get a better understanding of what it’s capable of doing for you. But – this can be an info overload. So if you’d like to speak to a real person about how to get started – give us a call. We can point you in the direction for a complete DIY experience, or provide you with options that will suit the level of control you’d like to have.
Get in touch and you’ll speak to a real person – even if you just want an un-biased opinion – we’d love to help!
What Level of DIY are you?
- Complete DIY-er! (I don’t need any help – I just need you to point me in the right direction.)
- Set me up – then let me at it! (Set up the core requirements to get WordPress in place – then I’ll take the lead from there.)
- Make it happen and you lead the way! (Set it up, get some action happening, but let me control the content on my site.)
- Just do it! (I’m not really a DIY-er… I want someone to do it for me – but I’ll give some direction about what I want and what needs to be included.)
It doesn’t matter what level of DIY-er you are – if you want a website with WordPress – get in touch – we’ll give you as much or as little guidance as you need.